Friday, July 8, 2011

Baja BOW: A truly exceptional Becoming an Outdoors-Woman experience.

Patty Allen tickeling a Sea Lion's lip.
I had the privilege of being asked to be the Becoming an Outdoors-Woman (BOW) representative at the Baja BOW: Island Adventure for Woman-lead by Tara Short, owner of Green Edventures and leader of this workshop.  When I spoke with Tara before leaving to Mexico’s Southern Baja for this workshop, I asked her what I should expect and prepare for. She told me to prepare to be excited, relaxed, and watch my stress melt away as I was to embark on a fabulous adventure in paradise.  Anyone who knows me also knows that I don’t usually relax long enough to let my stress melt away.  So needless to say I was intrigued and excited as I packed for my trip. 

School of Yellowtail Surgeonfish in the Sea of Cortez
Though my plane ride was somewhat lengthy I stepped out onto the tarmac looking for where I was supposed to go next.  Shortly there after, I was greeted by a friendly face with a sign saying “Green Edventures- BOW Baja”.  Wonderful!  We waited a short while for our entire party to arrive and then gathered into a van for our drive to southern Baja, away from familiar civilization and our adventure about to begin.  We were women of all shapes, sizes, fitness levels, and came from different backgrounds and experiences.  Let the adventures begin!
           

BOW Participants posing for an underwater photo.
The week just flew by.  I don’t believe there was a day that went by where we didn’t see dolphins and whales swimming effortlessly in the water.  What a sight to see!  After skillful instruction in snorkeling, we were able to observe and identify coral reefs, tropical fish and invertebrates, and sea lions!  Oh, the sea lions…I never thought I would ever say in my life that swam and played with sea lions.  We took numerous desert hikes learning about the terrain, history, local wildlife and plant life.  The evening hikes were my favorite, watching the desert sun set over the Sea of Cortez was a breathtaking sight.
            

The group at camp watching a talented guest artist paint.
Tara and her crew went above and beyond the call of duty, catering to our requests and needs.  For example, the crew catered to a request by a few ladies about going on a short fishing trip as an alternative to a hike that the rest of us wanted to go on.  The food was fantastic!  All of it was fresh and authentic local food and recipes. 


Painting workshop on the beach.
            As the Maryland BOW coordinator, I know that it takes a great deal to coordinate a workshop, and this one was longer and with more variables that I’ve ever had to deal with.  Tara and her crew never faltered and created a positive energy over the entire experience.  I know and can understand the kind of stress that goes along with putting together a workshop, but you would never know it looking at Tara.  Kudos to a great leader!
Camaraderie and Cerveza! Salud!
            By the end of the week we were feasting on the enjoyment and camaraderie that went along with our outdoor recreational adventure.  And yes, Tara was right, I was truly relaxed.  I made many new friends during that trip, came away with many stories, and will forever have fond memories that will last a lifetime.  This was a truly exceptional Becoming an Outdoors-Woman experience.





Super Women-Divers at Cabo Pulmo, Baja California Sur, Mexico.
Join the fun in 2012!
Click below to find out more information!http://www4.uwsp.edu/cnr/bow/Baja%20Registration.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment